Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Nom Nom Nom

The game store-cafe concept is all the rage right now. If I had to do it over again, I would seriously consider it. It's probably like other game store hybrid models, in which the sum of the parts does not equal the value of the whole. In other words, from what I'm told, a really strong game store will always beat a hybrid store in sales performance. Still, there's something tantalizing about the coffee shop model, especially having customers during the day. Customers that are not primarily men between the ages of 18-45 (our core).

That said, I know nothing about coffee shops and only a little about coffee. My coffee knowledge: I like it. "I like it" is already the failed business plan for most game stores, so I'm smart enough to know I need to do more research, bring in a partner, or shut the hell up (my current favorite, despite this post). One old friend even offered to come up with the funding if I did the business plan work. I'm honored, but still need to think more about it. I can't help thinking there's a change in the wind. I'm just not sure it's the smell of coffee.

This brings me to our snacks. Some stores have this grandiose idea that snacks and drinks are some sort of huge investment. They're a nice add-on, but not worth breaking a sweat over. Here are our snack sales; far more fragmented than drink sales. The Kit-Kat is the our local champion. Got a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment